I have watched this interview about 20-30 times now and just can’t seem to get it out of my head. It has bothered me on multiple levels.
I think Reverend Graham did a great job. He stayed true to God’s Word & message and was amazingly calm, I am sure he would tell you the Holy Spirit helped.
What bothered me was the tenacity at which the interviewers came after him. It was obvious they did not know God. They did not understand the concept of knowing a man’s heart through his fruit. They missed the point of the difference between a “good person” and a christian.
The mocking tone was also almost defining, you could feel the contempt in their voice and body language. They could not contain it. It reminded me of Jude where he spoke of the mockers we would experience in the last days.
Jude 1:17-19 – (NKJV)
17 But you, beloved, remember the words which were spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ: 18 how they told you that there would be mockers in the last time who would walk according to their own ungodly lusts. 19 These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit.
But what really hit it home for me was how they completely dismissed all of the “fruit” that Reverence Graham laid out for them. Let’s list them. Some he stated and others that have come up recently.
1. Obama’s stance and support on abortion.
2. His stance and lack of support for Israel.
3. His stance and lack of support for the Christians being killed overseas.
4. On the opposite side, the total pass he gives to Muslim efforts / groups.
5. His support of Gay Rights regarding marriage and protected class status/hate speech.
6. His stance on contraceptives within Obama Care.
7. The complete removal of God from everywhere in our public society on his watch.
8. How he has had covered any Christian symbols when giving speeches.
9. How he has omitted God / Creator when quoting historical documents from our founding. (multiple times)
I am sure there are more, but do the above seem at all to point to a Christian? Even if you only believe in 2-3 of them would it be enough to have some questions?
It is true that only God knows a man’s heart and can know if he is saved (born again) but he taught us about the “fruits” so we could have some reference point to discern. It is obvious that the interviewers did not get that.
You could tell the frustration in their voices as they pushed the question over and over. “Why can’t we get ‘America’ to admit that Obama is a Christian?” It is because Americans have doubts because of his actions, his “fruits”. It is what James meant by “without works”. Once you are born-again you can’t help but further God’s Kingdom out of sheer gratitude of the gift of salvation.
Click on the article title for a link to full original referenced article.